The national education reports are jointly commissioned by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany (KMK) and the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and collaboratively written by an authoring group that is also jointly accountable.
The members of the authoring group hold responsible functions in the following research institutions and statistical offices:
- DIPF | Leibniz Institute for Research and Information in Education
- German Institut for Adult Education - Leibniz Centre for Lifelong Learning (DIE)
- German Youth Institute (DJI)
- German Center for University and Science research (DZHW)
- Sociological Research Institute at the University of Göttingen (SOFI)
- Federal Statistical Office and the statistical offices of the federal states
The chief responsibility lies with the DIPF.